Autosave

Questions and issues concerning LXBeams
lanternz

Autosave

Postby lanternz » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:59 pm

In preferences I have auto save every 5 minutes selected. Twice now I have lost several hours work on a drawing when it has crashed and the restored drawing does not have the last sessions work. LxBeams 6.0.4. Mac OS 12.0.1

lanternz

Re: Autosave

Postby lanternz » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:45 pm

And another weird thing. I have an equipment tab open, if I go to another application and then come back to the equipment tab it is empty! I can go to another tab and then come back to the equipment tab and it repopulates. Also why does the equipment list not follow the order of the the instruments as laid out in the instrument palette?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:24 pm

I don't see a problem with autosave, which is mostly a system feature, part of MacOS not something created by LXBeams. It seems likely that there is some problem with the specific plot that is throwing an exception, if indeed autosave does not complete. The latest build of LXBeams, Version 6.0.5 (18030.1), will log each time itis asked by the system to autosave. You should be able to see this in the Messages window. You'll also be able to find this in the log which is located in your Library: ~/Library/Application Support/com.claudeheintzdesign.lxseries/Logs/lxbeams.log

I think you are using a count report rather than the Symbols report when you refer to "Equipment". The Symbols report includes all entries in the key regardless of if they are used in the plot. So they appear in the order of the key. A count report only includes a count of fixture symbols that are drawn. The sort order of any count report is alphabetic. However, the latest build of LXBeams will sort by the order of entries in the key when the count field is either "Type" or "Full Name".

I don't find any problem with reloading reports when switching away from LXBeams and back. Again, this could be specific to the plot. Whatever it is that throws an exception may be interrupting the reload of the report. This would not be all the time because switching tabs apparently does allow the report to load. But, this is puzzling because when LXBeams becomes the active application, it reloads a report tab, just as if you switched to that tab.

lanternz

Postby lanternz » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:57 am

Regarding the lists: I have opened equipment list, equipment count, symbols and symbol count in 6.0.5. None of these reports calculate the balance of instruments when I enter a number in the inventory, and none of them retain a number if I switch to another tab. I have tried this on 3 different drawings with the same result. This used to work fine in early versions of the app.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:54 pm

I think I see what you mean. Apple changed how tables work and I think that was still affecting the Symbol count report type. The latest build should allow proper updating through the symbol count report. Version 6.0.5 (18102.1)

lanternz

Postby lanternz » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:06 pm

Fixed - thanks.