Which specific features are added to LXPlan when an LXSeries Pro License is purchased?

Questions and issues concerning LXPlan (formerly LXFree for Java)
daniel_cowman

Which specific features are added to LXPlan when an LXSeries Pro License is purchased?

Postby daniel_cowman » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:13 am

Hello! I'm wondering which specific features are added to LXPlan when a Pro license is added. Reading through the website, I'm having a hard time understanding what the difference is, aside from allowing the user to use the software for professional/for-profit uses. I'm not even sure what the differences are between LXFree and LXPlan are, aside from the platforms on which they run. The LXFree page says, "LXPlan also has advanced features that make it similar to LXBeams when an LXSeries Pro license is installed." However, the LXSeries Pro Licence page says, "The LXSeries Pro license covers LXBeams and LXConsole running on MacOS and LXFree for Java running on Windows." Does this mean that all the features of LXBeams and LXConsole are made available on LXPlan with a Pro license? And if not all the features are available, which features make LXPlan "similar" to LXBeams?

I think that a page going into detail about the differences between the different software would definitely be useful for people interested in using/buying the software. It may be obvious to people who have used it before, but I find some of the vocabulary used on the site right now to be confusing. Saying that LXPlan and LXFree are "siblings" or that purchasing a Pro license gives LXPlan users features "similar to" LXBeams doesn't give me much information at all as to how the programs differ. Since I don't have any devices that run MacOS, I can't check for myself either.

Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Which specific features are added to LXPlan when an LXSeries Pro License is purchased?

Postby admin » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:08 pm

LXPlan has features and functions that are very similar to LXFree on MacOS. When used with an LXSeries Pro license, LXPlan also enables functions very similar to those found in LXBeams. A comparison of the features of LXFree and LXBeams can be found here:

https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/l ... mpare.html

LXFree for Java was renamed to LXPlan to avoid confusion. If you note other instances where "LXFree for Java" still appears on the website, please let us know. The ones you mention above have been fixed.

The LXSeries Mac applications are very similar in functionality to LXPlan. However, there are differences in the interface (ie. how those functions are implemented) because LXFree and LXBeams are MacOS based and LXPlan runs using Java(tm).

Java is a trademark of Oracle corporation but not all versions of Java are distributed and licensed by Oracle.

LXConsole is an entirely separate application that only runs on MacOS (but its use is covered by an LXSeries Pro license). One LXSeries Pro license would allow you to run LXConsole on a Mac and LXPlan on a Windows machine. There is no comparable console/control application for Windows available under the LXSeries Pro license.