Lx Plan won't install

Questions and issues concerning LXPlan (formerly LXFree for Java)
Ranger79

Lx Plan won't install

Postby Ranger79 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:53 pm

I get and error message when I try to install the Lx Plan or anything newer than 2.6.

" Is the problem with the windows installer package. A program run as part of the windows installer package did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or or package vendor."

Also get Java runtime environment not found.

Install is on windows 10 64bit laptop PC. Acer R3. Runs ETC nomad just fine.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Lx Plan won't install

Postby admin » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Make sure that you have uninstalled any previous version before trying to install the current version. If you continue to have problems, post exactly which link you are using to download.

Ranger79

Postby Ranger79 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:37 pm

I tried that last night. With no Lxfree or Lx Plan. Will try again. Maybe there is still a Java file somewhere still in there.
I was trying the 2.7.0 install. Gave up and tried 2.6 which works but wanted to try the update. Are there any big differences between 2.6 and 2.7?

Ranger79

Postby Ranger79 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:31 pm

Installing 2.7.0. And same thing with all Java and lx software removed. Do you need to not have Google Chrome as default browser. Is it loaded to Microsoft explorer some how. Cause that is being phased out.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Both of the current downloads work for me with Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. You can eliminate the browser from the equation by saving the .msi file and opening it from your downloads folder. Java itself is necessary to run LXPlan, but not for the installation (except running the application after the rest of the install completes).

There are two possible installers you can download. One installs a copy of OpenJDK. The other depends on Oracle Java 1.8. It's not clear which of these you are attempting to install. The OpenJDK version requires both a 64 bit Intel processor, and a 64 bit version of Windows. If you have a 64 bit machine with 32 bit Windows, this version will not work. The version that uses Oracle Java 1.8 can run on both 32 and 64 bit machines. This installer does not launch the LXPlan application after it installs. You need to open the app yourself. (Conversely, the OpenJDK installer will open LXPlan at the end of the install and if this fails, the install may not complete properly.)

It is possible that you have Anti-Virus that is interfering with the install. You should, however, get a message or log that tells you what the AV objected to.

Ranger79

Postby Ranger79 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:06 pm

Appears to be windows installer package. It goes to open windows explorer then closes the screen and then repeatedly fails.
Going to try to un-install explorer and edge. See if they are out of date. Turned off all the things in windows defender to see whats missing.

Confirmed processor and windows are 64 bit.

Are there any big differences between 2.6 and 2.7?
I may just give up and continue with 2.6. Think it has something to do with Java JRE the 11.0.1 version seems to be enabled. But LX Plan can't find it. It's looking in the wrong spot. I would attach photos of all this but this forum only supports file size so small It's un readable.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:25 pm

If the downloaded file is opening Edge or explorer, it sounds as if the download is corrupted or not complete. The link below is to the InstallLXPlanAndOpenJDK.msi file that has zipped. Perhaps that will work better that the direct download.

https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/down ... DK.msi.zip

The msi file should be 217,148,928 bytes.

peplx

Postby peplx » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 pm

I had the exact same problem. What I figured out is the jdk11.cab file had not unpacked.

I used 7zip and extracted the files into the LxPlanApplication folder and LXPlan opened as expected.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm

Unpacking the openjdk cab file depends on the Windows system. On the download page there is an alternate installer for LXPlan with openJDK that uses a different command to unpack the openJDK cab file. If one installer fails to unpack, you can try the other.

https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/l ... nload.html

The second installer is listed under Older/Alternative Versions.

FYI:
InstallLXPlanAndOpenJDK.msi uses expand.exe to uncompress the cab file and cmd.exe to openLXPlan after installation.
InstallLXPlanAndOpenJDK_alt.msi uses cmd.exe to run extrac32.exe to uncompress the cab file and cmd.exe to openLXPlan after installation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternatively if your system won't run cmd.exe you can manually expand the jdk11.cab file using PowerShell.

To manually uncompress the openjdk cab file Open Windows PowerShell app. There are two commands to enter. Type them as follows:

Code: Select all

cd AppData\Roaming\LXSeries4Windows\LXPlanApplication

expand jdk11.cab . -f:*

(Note the dot in the second command is surrounded by spaces.)

Reisu

Postby Reisu » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:26 am

peplx wrote:I had the exact same problem. What I figured out is the jdk11.cab file had not unpacked.

I used 7zip and extracted the files into the LxPlanApplication folder and LXPlan opened as expected.

It helped me! (win10, lxplan version 2.8)