Fader control

Questions and issues concerning LXConsole (MacOS)
JosechuPuerta

Fader control

Postby JosechuPuerta » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:04 am

Hello Claude, sorry for the inconvenience.
I have managed to map the faders of a nanoKontrol2 to the corresponding faders of LxConsole, but I cannot find a way to assign a group/sub to a fader, to be able to manage it from the nanoKontrol2.
How can I do it? I'm sure it's very easy, but I got lost...
All the best.
Josechu

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fader control

Postby admin » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:13 pm

You can only assign subs to faders.

In the Inspector's faders tab, there are three buttons next to each fader.

The ">" and "<" buttons switch the fader to controlling the next and previous sub in the list of subs assigned.

The "I" button brings up the setup sheet for that fader. On the left side is the list of subs assigned to the fader. There can one or more subs assigned to be controlled by that fader. You switch what sub is currently being controlled using the next and previous buttons described above. On the right side of the individual fader setup sheet are the MIDI control assignments.

The configuration of all the faders can be saved to be recalled for use with other files. There's a popup button in the lower right corner of the faders tab where the configurations are saved/recalled/exported.

There is one final place with settings for faders and that is in View->Setup in the Faders tab. In the setup window's faders tab you can choose if faders can be switched to a different sub while the level is not zero. This is important because if the faders are being controlled in a way that does not allow LXConsole to set the external control level (ie a MIDI controller without motorized faders) then if you switch a fader to a different sub, its level will be out of sync on the physical device. You enable MIDI and/or OSC control of the faders in the setup window as well.

The last items in the setup window's faders tab allow you to remove fader configurations from the file. And there is an option to convert the "<" or previous button from selecting the prior sub to bumping the fader to full.

JosechuPuerta

Postby JosechuPuerta » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:05 pm

Thank you very much for your quick response.
After asking you the question I managed to associate the subs with the faders. Even on the panel the name of the corresponding sub appears on each fader.
Now the problem I have is that the subs do not modify the level of the luminaires included in said sub.
I use Capture to see the response and by managing the luminaires from the Live window, I have a correct response in the viewer (so there is Lx-Capture communication). But when managing a group of luminaires from a sub I get no response.
Anyway, beginner stuff with your software, I guess...
Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. You can turn on fixtures in the live window but not with a sub?

When you fade the sub up do the levels of these fixtures show in the live window? You should see yellow levels for channels being set by a sub in the live window. (yellow assuming you haven't changed the color in the settings).

If you are not seeing levels change in the live window when you raise/lower the level of a sub, then the first guess is probably that the subs master is down. The level of all subs and by extension faders is controlled by the subs master. The subs master can be assigned to an external MIDI/OSC control. Or, it can be controlled by the second fader in the live controls panel of the main window. The right fader in this area is always the grand master which controls all intensity channels everywhere. The fader on the left can be a manual fade controller, the subs master, or the master for cues. You can check the level of the subs master by selecting Cue->Live->Second Live Fader->Subs Master. Make sure that the subs master is up and that you are not setting it to zero with an external control. Alternatively you can restore the subs master to full and reset all the subs individual levels to zero by selecting Cue->Live->Clear Live Sub Levels.

If this is not the issue, perhaps you can clarify what you expect to happen, and what does/does not happen, and include the steps you are doing to achieve the expected result.

JosechuPuerta

Postby JosechuPuerta » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:11 pm

Sorry again Claude.

I have already achieved what I was looking for, controlling the faders from a nanokontrol2 and seeing that control live in the Capture viewer.

Actually I don't know exactly how I did it, I simply realized that the channels included in the sub should not be marked (_) on the Live screen.

This way I can configure the subs, assign them to the corresponding fader and control them from the nanoKontrol for live.

Thanks for all. Greetings.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:56 am

In the Settings/Preferences Window's Live tab there is a checkbox:

Mark Overrides Submaster Level

Marked channels in Live can hold their levels. It may be uncommon but it is an option to have them override subs or cues. Both Mark Overrides Sub Levels and Unmark Live Channels on GO are settings related to this. The most expected behavior is probably with Unmark Live Channels on GO selected (on) and Mark Overrides Submaster Level unselected (off).