OSC address changes randomly

Questions and issues concerning LXConsole (MacOS)
Johan Söderberg

OSC address changes randomly

Postby Johan Söderberg » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:35 am

I have guestartists in my house experiencing something I've never seen before.
They run LXConsole triggered via OSC from Qlab.
Occassionally LXConsole changes the ip address they've set to listen to OSC commands from a static ip nr to "any interface" and that leads to LXconsole not receiving the osc commands from Qlab.
What can they do to prevent this from happening?

admin
Site Admin

Re: OSC address changes randomly

Postby admin » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:13 pm

What exact version of LXConsole does this happen with? LXConsole will try to find a usable network address if the address set in the preferences is not available. But, at least the latest builds, should not change to any address if the set address is missing, only to a new network address. So, if you post the specific version and build, it can be checked to make sure that this is correct. The latest build is 6.5.1 (18724.1).

The best practice is to leave the incoming address set to "any address". If QLAb and LXConsole are running on the same computer, use the localhost address 127.0.0.1 and the port you specify in LXConsole's preferences as the outgoing address from QLab.

Johan Söderberg

Re: OSC address changes randomly

Postby Johan Söderberg » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:13 pm

Seems like a good theory.
They had an old version on a very old macbook that they couldn't update the system on.
I also noted that they didn't use the 127.0.0.1 address but instead tried to run it on the same network as their Enttec ArtNet device, which seemed a bit strange since all they wanted was communication from Qlab 3 running on the same laptop as LXConsole.