DMX ARTNET SACN CURVE

Questions and issues concerning LXConsole (MacOS)
luca_tellechi

DMX ARTNET SACN CURVE

Postby luca_tellechi » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:23 am

Hi Claude,

I'm testing an artnet showtec dmx interface, compared with enntec usb-pro I usually use I notice that light goes up and down faster than before, like there's a curve on dmx values changing.. have you any solution tu suggest me?

than you!

Luca

admin
Site Admin

Re: DMX ARTNET SACN CURVE

Postby admin » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:27 pm

The USB interface may be slower and less reliable than the Art-Net. I always recommend Art-Net or sACN for professional applications. The only way you might have to choose a USB to DMX interface is if you can't afford a networked one and/or don't want to setup a network. A network interface requires ethernet for your computer and ideally a separate router (not connected to the internet) in addition to the DMX interface itself.

luca_tellechi

Postby luca_tellechi » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:55 am

thank you Claude,
one more question.. I often use really long transition between cues (2 or 3 minutes) with artnet lights at 50% of transition time are really high it seems not to be linear (rest of 50% time they change just a little). I tested this on different venues with different dimmer all dimmer in linear curve.
You think in this case can I use curves function of lxconsole? can you suggest me how to use curves to obtain a smoother transition if transition times are 2 or 3 minutes?

thnak you!

luca

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:10 pm

Fades in LXConsole are linear floating point until the output. If the output profile for a dimmer is linear, then the DMX output will be exactly linear.

If you have a channel fading from zero to full in three minutes, at 1:30 into the fade, the DMX for that address will be 0x80 with a linear profile.

Use View->Setup... and choose the "profiles" tab to be sure that the DMX address in question is assigned to be linear.

If you have non-linear dimmers, you can choose a different curve to try to compensate for the dimmers. You might manually run a channel up and down to see if the light changes apparent brightness in the lower or upper part of the curve and then try either the "slow" or "fast" profile to see if that evens things out.

luca_tellechi

Postby luca_tellechi » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:34 pm

thank you Claude.. I'll try this solution...!

Luca