The model and its z level

Questions and issues concerning LXBeams
Johan Söderberg

The model and its z level

Postby Johan Söderberg » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:28 pm

Im trying to show a customer a few simple sketches using the model window.
Only problem is that i've drawn a stage which is 1.02 metres high and the model refuses to change altitude so its kind of sunken halfway through the floor all the time. :-)

Changing value for Z position does nothing, all other parameters seem to work.
running LXBeams Version 6.4.2 (19322.1)

admin
Site Admin

Re: The model and its z level

Postby admin » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:43 pm

I don't know why this wouldn't work. I tried a couple of computers and LXBeams 6.5 both Intel and Apple Silicon with Sonoma and the z translation for the model worked as it should. All I can think is that you do have to hit return/enter after changing the value in the controls of the model window. I entered "1.2m" for the z and the model rose up off the floor (which is always at 0 in the model world).

Johan Söderberg

Postby Johan Söderberg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:08 pm

Twostubbornguys.jpg
These guys just keep misbehavin.
Twostubbornguys.jpg (237.14 KiB) Viewed 984 times

Here they are, sunken into a floor which is 102 cms high.
They can be moved anywhere except up or down.

Johan Söderberg

Postby Johan Söderberg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:30 pm

TheKayakingDude.jpg
Here's another one who ought to be flying 100 metres up in the air.
TheKayakingDude.jpg (227.92 KiB) Viewed 983 times

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:08 pm

Just to be sure, you are using the document origin correct? That matches the origin of the document to (0,0,0) in the model's world coordinates. That is going to be necessary for your stage height to be rendered so it matches the document world. If you don't use the document origin, the world origin is matched to the model origin that is specified in the settings.

In the model window's settings, look at the model tab and click "Advanced". You'll see a checkbox to use the document origin there. Be sure it is checked. Not using the document origin would be a special case and it would be uncommon to want to do that. That's why it is hidden in the advanced controls that generally don't want to be changed from the defaults.

Johan Söderberg

Postby Johan Söderberg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:25 pm

And up they rose.jpg
And up they rose.jpg (225.74 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Now they are in "document origin". That made it possible to use the Z level, but screwed up the camera position :-)
But I guess that can be fiddled with somehow.
I dont think I've ever looked under that "advanced" button before. Or maybe I did years ago and left it in a strange mode.
Thanks Claude.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:13 pm

For clarification, the coordinate systems are relative to each other:

If you use the document origin, the translation settings for the model move the model in relationship to 3D objects in the main drawing.

If you don't use the document origin, the translation settings for the model move the 3D objects in the main drawing in relationship to the model (x,y). The z coordinate is 0 unless the Beams preferences are set to "use beam plane as origin z". In which case the beam plane height becomes the z coordinate.

Mostly the second option, not using the document origin, would allow translation of 3D coordinates for export, rather than being used to render an image in the model window. That is why it is uncommon and hidden in the advanced controls.